When we talk about Artificial Intelligence or AI, what is the first thing that comes to mind?
From AI movies to machine appearances, we can see how the power of AI is being predicted. We all are familiar with the famous Space Odyssey, Terminator, Matrix and many such movies that depict machines, robots or droids with anthropomorphizing or sentient operating systems.
AI is not just about robots and machines, it has a much wider application. Artificial Intelligence aka machine intelligence is the branch of computer science that develops machines and systems with the aim to think like humans, learn with experience, and perform human-like tasks.
AI has become a part of our daily lives, perhaps without us even realising it. Be it reading emails, social networking, shopping online or communicating with chatbots the inclination of humans towards digital life is augmenting our work operation and at the same time disrupting human tendency.
The future of Artificial Intelligence is already visible from the way it helps us in our work and day to day tasks. The utilization of AI has begun and we are globally beginning to embrace the technology.
We know that AI has impacted different industries and as consumers we have also experienced this technology in one form or the other.
AI is the next industrial revolution that has just scraped the floors of its possibilities and is waiting to explore its full potential, ready to create waves among people across the globe.
The scope of Artificial Intelligence with technologies such as Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, Computer Vision and others is much broader and evolving.
From improving transportation to revolutionizing the healthcare sector, AI is not just saving lives but is searching for solutions to problems even before they arise. Advancements in AI help curb accidents and incidents everyday, diagnose symptoms and diseases and is one of the reasons why it is getting huge investments in both these sectors. The healthcare industry has invested around $1.7 billion in AI in 2018.
Nowadays, restaurants are making use of robots to take orders and serve food. Driver-less or self driving cars are a combination of cutting-edge hardware and software technologies that have already created a hype in the industry.
Elon Musk, the founder and CEO of Tesla, SpaceX, in one of his interviews said that the advent of digital super-intelligence is one which is symbiotic with humanity.
Google CEO, Sundar Pichai, when asked about the future of AI said, ‘AI is the most important thing that humans can ever work on. AI offers a different construct, things which are constrained and look like a zero sum game today may not be so in the future.’
AI is used in almost all the sectors to automate tasks and create efficiencies. World leaders and business entrepreneurs are embracing the use of AI and looking forward to more advanced use cases in the near future.
AI and Robotics- The Next Big Thing?
Robotics with AI technology is considered the top of the AI food chain and is making huge strides in the industry. AI is the part of robotic solutions that adds intelligence and learning capabilities.
There are many movies that show robots helping humans to do tasks and attain a greater lifestyle. While in contrast, other movies show how advanced AI and robots are taking over the world and turning on their human masters.
Not everything depicted in movies is true. AI and Robotics have tremendously affected people’s operations and workflows with its data mining, data generation, collection, processing and storage abilities.
Advances in AI and robotics allow people to cognitively delegate repetitive tasks and invest time, attention and energy in creative aspects like innovation and ideation. AI and its future in robotics is said to integrate and permeate wide sections of our daily lives.
Robots are listening and taking more informed decisions from the gathered and stored data. This advancement is heading towards the adoption of robotics in a number of industries like manufacturing, retail, healthcare, hospitality, and even household in due time.
AI and robotic technology helps us accomplish goals by automating work processes and taking on tasks that may be dangerous or difficult for humans. The collaboration between humans and robots can lead to autonomous service systems and operations of all types.
- Surgical Robotics: Surgical robots are designed to conduct automated surgeries with certain techniques and precision through AI and machine learning.
- Hospitality: Another use of AI and robotics can be seen in the hospitality sector. Here, AI robots are used to welcome and entertain guests with an interactive surface that provides a seamless experience with 24*7 services. The hotel industry has started using AI robots to attract guests, improve customer experience and increase revenue.
- Restaurants: The same is followed by Restaurants where AI robots take an order and serve guests, while interacting with them. Robot chefs are slowly getting more advanced from being able to fry eggs to creating a full meal.
- Cleaning Services: Some cleaning robots have been enhanced with speech recognition AI engines to carry out tasks and report status. These robots can be fully controlled with voice commands.
- Social Robots: Robots are also being used to assist humans, especially the elderly, in the form of therapy or as a companion. These robots are known as social robots as are made to interact socially with lonely elderly people.
The future of AI technology is predictive tech due to its vast data processing abilities. AI and its future in robotics is advanced cognitive systems, competent in interacting and providing humans with articulate explanations intelligently
The Impact of AI and its Future
Nothing is developing or growing at a pace as rapid as AI, and it is influencing our lifestyle and communication. The impact and future of AI is very deep for every industry that it has touched. From automating various business processes to augmenting technology to serving guests, we have seen AI evolving at every stage.
- The impact of AI in the healthcare industry is massive with disease diagnosis, drug discovery, personalized medicine and tailor patient needs.
- The Finance industry has been revolutionized with AI tools. AI lets the user know when they can invest and where depending on income, demographics and other factors. AI benefits the sector by analyzing huge amounts of data and predicting patterns with the given information.
- AI is also vastly used in banking sectors to speed up processes and identify suspicious transactions that can result in fraud. A growing opportunity is Intelligent Character Recognition and the use of computer vision to process paperwork faster in the non-digital arena.
- In business, AI is used to record attendance of its employees through facial recognition. AI is also helping in analyzing data and statistics for marketing and sales teams.
- Human Resources is making the best use of AI by shortlisting and hiring eligible candidates without bias.
- The Retail industry enjoys AI by offering 24*7 customer service. The inventory and stock management is streamlined, reducing human errors and giving owners the time to focus on important tasks.
AI and its future is dynamic with various solutions for even the smallest tasks. For example, it can help people interact with each other in any language, giving them the power of language translation and augmented creativity.
The Bottom Line
Artificial Intelligence helps harness the benefits of technology while minimizing damage. The autonomous system, processes, bots, operations and most importantly symbiosis between humans and artificial intelligence is the emerging future of AI.
We are interacting with AI everyday in one way or another through our phones, computers, at the workplace, or voice commands. Be it rapid or gradual, a change is likely to come with the rise of AI.
What needs to be understood is the way AI systems are developed, as the technology will have major implications for our society as a whole. The possibilities are endless, we just have to be careful to understand and use it properly.